Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 27, 2010

Moving On

Now that Christmas is over and a new year is starting, I'm ready to sign up for some reading challenges. So far I am ready to commit to a World Wide challenge and Kerrie's Alphabet Weekly Report. They both seem like fun and will give me a push to try something a little different.

This week I read the newest Stuart Pawson, A Very Private Murder, the 13th Charlie Priest mystery. Stuart Pawson doesn't receive the publicity he should, imo. since he writes a consistently interesting police procedural.  D I Charlie Priest is someone I always enjoy revisiting. I didn't think this was one of his best books but I still enjoyed it a lot. Liked rather than loved.

One of the crimes in this book is a bunch of burglaries done by two men armed with a pit bull terrier. It seems threatening people with the pit bull makes them agreeable to being robbed. At the same time, Charlie is trying to find out who is responsible for graffiti written on a plaque at a new shopping mall until the Mayor of Heckley is found dead and Charlie is working on a more interesting case.

Was it the week and my attitude because I also read An Impartial Witness by Charles Todd and thought it wasn't up to par either. This is the second in the Bess Crawford series, one that I liked but didn't love. Bess recognizes a woman in a train station from a picture belonging to one of her patients and then finds out the woman was murdered. After she informs Scotland Yard about seeing this woman right before her death, she becomes involved in solving her murder. It seemed a bit repetitive and mundane even with several murders and a suicide but maybe because amateur sleuths are not my favorites.

Time to see if I can sign up for the 2011 challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment